Wednesday, May 27, 2009

He's Here! President Obama is here!

Yes, marvelous isn't it - President Obama is here in Las Vegas, the entertainment center of the universe, the place he practically ruined with one stupid comment. Our Governor - Jim Gibbons - has declined the invitation to meet President Obama at the plane to shake his hand. Some say it is an opportunity to tell the President what's on his mind and he shouldn't have passed it up, but I think it was a good snub. I've been wrong and what do I know anyhow. All I know is what I feel and that is agitation. The comment our President made several months ago referring to businesses coming to Las Vegas was just another nail the the Las Vegas coffin which affected many thousands of workers and many businesses here in the valley.

I think his comments were a huge slap in the face to the culinary union who supported him big time. The majority of those union workers were either laid off or their wages cut or time cut. My son works at one of the strip hotels and his time was cut. He is lucky to work two shifts a week even on a holiday weekend. But, I am sure the union still catered to him and appeared in full support when he arrived at the airport.

There were tickets on sale to see the President. What a joke! Why would I or anyone want to PAY to see our president? It should be his honor if people show up by their own desires to want to see him, why should they pay?

His primary purpose for coming to Las Vegas is to pump up support for our Senator Harry Reid, but I'm not sure his visit is going to help. I understand Senator Reid's coffers already contain some large amount of dollars. I haven't heard how the fund raiser went last night. I do know a lot of Nevadans are not happy with Senator's Reid's holier than thou attitude and the President's appearance may be a waste of time. I noticed this morning on our CBS early morning local news the clip of Senator Reid as he walked across the stage to speak, he was limping. He and many other senators are getting old, maybe it is time to put these guys out to retirement pasture and let some fresh thinkers do the jobs. Guys like Chris Dodd and other like him are the ones who are suppose to be guarding the country's business and they are the ones with their hands in the pot.

2 comments: