Monday, July 13, 2009

Todd on Pope Obama's visit

I have been preoccupied with the economy more specific my family's economy and other matters. I had forgotten about the protocol of visiting dignitaries giving gifts to those they visited, such as President and Mrs. Obama visiting Pope Benedict last week.

As I was catching up on some of my blog reading I came across one of my Catholic blogger and I noticed the guest writer had written an article titled "Todd on Pope Obama Meeting" and as I read the title I supposed I gasped somewhat, then chuckled as I regained consciousness. It is a must read and you may find this article at this link.

I would like to include here before sending you off to the original text to give you just a taste of the article ----

"In their short meeting the Pope was given a gift from the Obama family of a toy model of Air Force One airplane, a jigsaw puzzle picture of the First Family and a collection of DVDs. (Stigmata, Cider House Rules, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Mad Max and copies of all Mel Gibson's films) The President had the opportunity to convey a special relic of Blessed Edward Kennedy and an autographed photograph of America's famous Catholic: Nancy Pelosi."

I am a very naive person and yet I found this article first shockingly morose and I in a stupefied state then realizing the author was playing a game of being sarcastic. There are many things I don't know about the Catholic Church sadly admitting this as being a lifelong Catholic. And yet, I would believe anything someone would write as written in the environment of the author of this article. I suppose the belief that President Obama just might do this stems from the "gifts" President Obama gave the Queen of England. Although, I couldn't imagine he would give the photo of Nancy Pelosi or a toy model of Air Force One, and I prayed "Please don't let it be so."

And, with that I take leave to allow you to draw your own conclusions after reading Todd Unctuous's report from Rome!

No comments:

Post a Comment